Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Architects of the Desert

After the strong rains of this week, we discovered amazing structures in the desert built by ants overnight.  It's a testimony to teamwork and persistence.  I can see why my nephew has taken on the study of ants.  I never thought much about them in Ohio other than something to be poisoned or stepped on.  Out here I'm acquiring a new appreciation for the natural order of things that I used to consider pests.


Here's one with a outdoor toilet....


Somebody had more help last night


Looks like the pyramids of Egypt



The ATV tracks from the evening before don't bother them


Here's a duplex


This is the most interesting...a black and white family coexisting peacefully


These guys were still busy when I took their picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment